General Studies Unit
GENERAL STUDIES UNIT/DIRECTORATE (GST) FUNAI
The General Studies Programme in FUNAI came into being in the 2012/2013 academic year. Prof. Lucy Ekwueme is the Pioneer Director of the GST Unit, which is an arm of the Vice- Chancellor’s office.
FUNCTIONS OF THE GST OFFICE
The Unit performs both academic and administrative functions. These are:
- General co-ordination, arrangement, supervision and monitoring of the teaching/lectures of General Studies Courses in each of the two semesters per session.
- Liasing with the Time Table and Examination Time Table Committees for appropriate placement of GST courses.
- Ensuring mutual cooperation between the Unit and Central Examinations Committee for the conduct of examinations.
- Monitoring and co-ordination of the marking of GST Examination scripts after each semester’s examinations.
- Compilation, vetting and releasing of results promptly.
- Attending to students complaints.
- Collection of, and safe keeping of, examination materials and answer scripts from the Examination office.
8. Holding regular meetings with GST Lecturers and Course Co-ordinators for various matters concerning GST Programme.
- Keeping records of very important documents relating to GST examinations, results and other official matters.
- Preparation of Annual Financial Estimates for the Unit’s annual financial needs and forwarding same to the Bursary Department for necessary actions and implementation.
- Performance of other duties that may arise from time-to-time or be assigned by the Vice-Chancellor.
GENERAL STUDIES PROGRAMME
The institution of general studies in Nigerian Universities originated with the University law 1961, (E.N.L. No 21, of 1961, status 6) as “the College of General Studies included in the thirty-six Colleges listed for establishment.
Later, National University Commission (NUC) in 1989 approved minimum academic requirement for General Studies for all Nigerian Universities as such General Studies Courses are compulsory for all categories of studies.
The aim of General Studies is to produce graduates capable of directing projects in fields outside their areas of specialization in order to foster societal sustainable development. The study fosters intelligibility, effective communication in English language and keep students abreast with fundamentals of the Humanities, Natural and Social Sciences thereby, empower graduates to proffer solutions to basic social problems.
Philosophy and Objectives of General Studies Programme
Objections to the establishment of General Studies have given way, the study has gained currency and the Nigerian higher education is not the worst for it. Philosophically, the training of the mind to have broad spectrum knowledge and attain goals in relation to diverse matters has been the concern of education. We live in a world where science, arts, computer, technology and ideas, men and materials interact to shape lives. The study provides intellectual knowledge and training that equip students for life such that graduates from any discipline can function effectively in all fields irrespective of his or her area of specialization.
The Objectives of the Programme include:
To prepare and equip the students for effective academic work.
To enable students gain deeper insight into their environment and ensure that before they settle down in their areas of specialization, they are exposed to major areas of learning in Humanities, Natural Sciences, Nigerian Culture, Social Sciences, Use of English, Peace and Conflict Resolution, Logic and Philosophy.
To enable students gain understanding of the peculiarities of the Nigerian of the Nigerian Peoples and Culture.
To re-orient the students in the understanding of their environment and in mastering it proffer solutions to societal problems.