Makuachukwu G. Ojide (PhD)
About the Entrepreneurship and Employability Centre
- The Centre for Entrepreneurship and Employability is the focal point for entrepreneurship research, teaching and practice at FUNAI. It acts as the hub for entrepreneurial initiatives in the life sciences, biotechnology, informatics, humanities, and other areas
- The Centre also supports academic departments in producing graduates who are highly employable by providing FUNAI students with the employability skill sets they need in order to enable them compete favourably and flourish in a competitive, fast-moving knowledge-based economy.
Key programmes and activities for 2016
- Entrepreneurial courses: The centre will offer courses in entrepreneurship specifically designed for all FUNAI undergraduate students as part of their degree programme to facilitate skill acquisition (e.g., Fashion and designing, photography, printing and publishing, food processing, film production, music production, bakery, plumbing, domestic electrical wiring, etc.) and venture creation. We will also teach students how to write business plans, how investors make decisions and how to grow a successful business based on sound management practices. Our focus is on helping students, staff, and local entrepreneurs turn ideas into commercially feasible businesses in order to generate jobs grow our area’s economy and create opportunities that retain high potential entrepreneurs, talent and intellect in our area.
- Workshop and Training Services- The centre will periodically organise customised workshop, seminars, training and conferences that are specific to the needs of entrepreneurs within and outside the University.
- Employability Services: The Centre will provide resources and workshops to assist FUNAI students in honing the skills (employability skills) that will make them employable post-graduation, e.g. creative thinking, problem solving, team working, leadership, customer care, communication, emotional intelligence, presentation and time management.
- Career Planning Services: The Centre will assist students in career planning and will provide guidance on writing curriculum vitae, covering letter, interviews, assessment centres, psychometric tests, networking, and working abroad.
- Research: The Centre will conduct top class research in the broad areas of entrepreneurship and career development. The research will be disseminated via conference presentations organised by the Centre and publications in top academic and practitioner journals. The centre also aims to write books that will be adopted in universities within and outside the country.
- Advising and Consulting Services: The Centre will provide advising and consulting services on all aspects of new-business development. Assistance will be provided for idea creation, developing business plans, funding sources, registering new businesses, and growing existing businesses.
- Business Incubator Services- The Centre will encourage and support hi-tech and knowledge based pre-start and early start companies with high-growth potential during the formative stages of their development. The Incubator Service will include the provision of free furnished space, including wireless internet access, and access to shared meeting rooms.